Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Save us from Sewer Water Backup!!



Issue for this post:  How to stop sewage water backup into your house: 

 Hey!  This is my first blog post on this new site. It will be about camping, but I guess I am starting with the STUFF side of "Campnstuff".

I wonder how many people start their new blogs this way?

Cliche city.

But, that's ok.  This site will be all about things I do with camping and other interesting stuff.

For example, I just had a backwater valve installed in my house because we recently had sewer water backup from the city in our basement.  I am sorry, but it doesn't matter how nice  your house is...if you have sewer water, you live in a pigsty.

Well, I had the option of doing a pit plus an electric pump that would pump all our family stuff into the sewer....or....I could install a newer kind of check valve that is simple...More later.

So, I chose the Mainline Fullport Backwater Valve Model 4963

The idea is that water back up closes a simple mechanical flap against the sewer pipe keeping the water out.

So, now we have a little access plate sitting in our floor and I can actually see through the clear top (yes, I can actually *ahem* do business upstairs and if I am really, really quick run down and watch it go by--provided the access plate is up). Seeing the clear top (besides entertainment purposes), helps me know if the flap is activated so I can tell if my home is protected from the evil, nasty city sewer water.

Some other guy who installed one of these in his house said the following in his product testimonial:

"This could have been my fourth flood. We had one a year ago and are finally getting the basement back in order. Another flood would have been devastating"

I so agree with him.  After two months of cutting drywall, moping up sewer water with bleach, painting, etc, we finally have the kids toys all moved back down to their basement playroom--another flood right now and I may simply crumble into dust.  Just sweep me up, nothing more to see here folks. So, let's hope this backwater valve saves me (us) from that.

Let you know when I have some more Camp-n-Stuff later.

I intend to write a lot about various camp stuff lots, too.

Steve's Quick Tips From This Post:  (1)  If you are a little bit handy, and don't performing regular maintenance, you might fight this mechanical pump is a less-expensive, better option than an electric pump-in-pit option for blocking sewer run off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment