Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Obsession over Family Tent II (Love the Height and Shape



Issue on this post:  Second post in a series about buying a new tent.  In this post I mostly talk about how we loved the shape and dimensions of the Eureka Titan vs the roundish shape of our old dome tent.
 
As mentioned earlier, our box-store Target tent was great, but showing some wear after twelve years, and likely to be too small now that we had four kids.

So, I did what all middle-class Americans do, obsess about reviews during lunchbreaks at work and fantasize about finding that same model for $90 on Ebay....

As I mentioned, the winner of my tent-obsession became the Eureka Titan (pictured above). I chose this tent because I liked the footprint:  basically 13 X 10, and the cabin-like nearly vertical walls with 84 inches height in the middle.  Nice.  All 6'2" of me could now dress in dignity.

When we finally did purchase the Titan, I liked the basic rectangle shape after the slopping, igloo experience with our dome tent.  Don't get me wrong, our dome tent with  was able to fit a big blow up mattress,a  pac-n-play, a sleeping pad for two other kids, plus luggage piled up here and there.  But, basically, the floor was covered, and in some cases doubled up with pillows, and jammies and KnuffleBunny by Mo Williams books.  To take a pee at night you had to wobble across an air mattress, trip over an unzipped suitcase, and possibly step on your wife who is six months pregnant.  She'll appreciate that.

So, with the cabin dimensions and extra 40 sqaure feet what we really got was the ability to stand up, and the ability to finally have defined areas for kids, mom, dad, our luggage, toys, books and (heavenly)  neat little "hallways" between all the stuff.

With the Titan, we were able to blow up our double mattress on one end and then another double mattress on the other end for the kids, and find neat little spots for each person's suitcase, and great spots for toiletries, keys, etc.  Side note:  The mesh bags on this tent are great and are set up high on either side of both doors WELL out of the way of prying little hands that want to set off the car alarm at 3 AM. 

There were times Sarah my wife set up the tent and we would just sigh with contentment:  Our own little cabin.  So, in terms of dimensions, for a week of family camping, absolutely pleased.

Tips from this posting:

(1)  Again, we loved our round, dome tent, but the slope of the walls and the octagonal floor plan, and the smaller square footage overall made it challenging for us.

(2)  We really enjoyed the large footprint of the Titan, the ease of organization with the rectangular shape,

and

(3)  The tall, straighter walls.

Coming up next:  A surprise on what the Titan did NOT do as well.

2 comments:

  1. I love camping. Where can I buy thistent for cheap price ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Timber Ridge Family Tent For Camping from Bizarkdeal

    This thing is massive. I've seen other people on here saying that it's not as big as they expected. It was the complete opposite for me. Timber Ridge states it fits 8 people, and while it might be a little tight with 8 full sized adults, I don't think that's what was the intended use saying 8 people. But it could easily fit 4 adults and 4 children. I'm confident that you could even get two queen sized air mattresses in this thing, I believe one will fit in each half of the tend with the room divider up. One thing that stood out to me while setting this up is the thickness of the tent poles, they seem very durable and don't seem that they would break easily which is a problem I have had with tents in the past. Another awesome feature is that the tent also has these convenient cubbies, or pockets, around the entire top of the inside of the tent for storage. I shot the video and took the pictures in my yard for the purpose of this review. I will update soon once we actually get to take it camping hopefully in the next few weeks.

    From my first impressions I would not hesitate to recommend this to friends or family.

    ReplyDelete